Monday, February 17, 2014

Getting My Groove Back, With a 3 Year Old on My Back

Exercise...my arch nemesis and best friend.  I have always gone through waves when I've been more diligent than other times.  However, over the past two years, I've made it a top priority because it strengthens my heart, boosts my mood, helps me keep my sanity, and sets a great example for my kiddos.

I have a confession to make.  I have not "formally" exercised since snowshoeing December 26, 2013.  I have been sledding with the boys (a great workout) a few times.  But other than that we've had one wave of sickness after another sweep through our home.  If I'm not sick, then one or both boys will be so I lose sleep and as a result don't make it to the gym in the morning.



I don't say this for self-pity.  I say this to show my reality and share that it happens to everyone!  I know there have been days I could have fit it in.  I just lost my groove.  I lost my motivation.  We've had a lot of personal upheaval and to be honest...I just didn't care.  I knew I should care but I didn't.

My scale number kept going up and my pants got a little more snug and finally, I said, "Enough is enough!".  So Saturday, I went and pushed myself hard with cardio for 45 minutes.  Sunday, I did 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of lunges, squats, man push-ups, crunches, and tricep curls.  Last night, the boys were up for various reasons, so we played musical beds and as a result...are all exhausted.

I knew I wasn't going to make it to the gym but I am recommitted to my health.  What could I do?  We have Amazon Prime and can stream the Instant videos onto our T.V.  So I decided to search for their free videos.  There was a Jillian Michaels Yoga work out.  Keep in mind...I am exercising with a 3 year old and 5 year old boy.  They are sitting on the floor with their legos but I know they're not going to stay there.

They easily accepted that I was going to work-out and before I knew it they were both down to their t-shirts and boxer briefs doing yoga.  I'm not into the spirituality side of yoga but the stretching and strengthening...totally up my alley!  I'm a kickboxing kind of gal.  This was a workout video I could do with the kids without kicking them in the face or across the room.  I didn't sweat as much as running but I did feel the burn.

So three days in a row.  I'm hoping to incorporate the yoga video into my week with the Superheroes.  They enjoyed it and even though some of the push-ups and planks involved a 3 year old sitting on my butt...it was worth it.  Crunches involved an added 37 pound weight sitting on my chest as I lifted and lowered my legs.  I know I'll feel the burn tomorrow and I know my kids had me model health and quality time with them.

1 comment:

  1. It is so cute to see that your boys are joining in on yoga! And it's so great to hear I am not the only one who has hit the "enough is enough" spot. I think it's actually pretty common. Loving your blog and loving your posts on fitness and health in general!

    ReplyDelete