Saturday, October 20, 2012

Simple is good!

So I realize I haven't posted for quite awhile!  Yikes...9 days!  Sorry about that.  I realized that Christmas is sneaking up on me so I've been trying to prep my house for that.  I also realized that in the craziness of September our house was overwhelming me.  So it's time to clean things out again.  This week I was up a lot with a head cold for me and Superhero #2.  In the wee small hours of the morning...I create things.  I must have my Grandma's brain during those times because she was one of the most creative and Godly people I've ever met.  Her faith through many trials is humbling.

But I've strayed off my main point...with a head cold I'm a bit spacey and for that reason I've needed to do simple meals while still adhering to our diet.  I don't want to sacrifice how far we've come.  I also haven't been feeling 100% with this cold so I've needed to have meals that take little time.  Here's a typical menu for our busy household.  Enjoy and if you have feedback or suggestions...let me know!

So this week...some favorites...pot roast, burgers, steak (for Handsome Hubby's birthday), and today...crockpot chicken.

Here are a few easy recipes you can throw together...enjoy!

For my pot roast recipe check a previous post.  Here's the link...pot roast

Burgers

1 lbs grass fed ground beef
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce or salsa
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 tsp italian seasoning or taco seasoning (depending on what flavor you're looking for)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Mix all together...you can't really do these on the grill unless you use a pan.  Fry until brown on each side.  Enjoy!  You can also do these in muffin tins as little burger muffins...bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Note:  We served these with my homemade guacamole (link here... and raw carrots and cucumbers)

Steak

4 grass fed sirloin steak
organic balsamic vinegar
Montreal steak seasoning
bacon grease or olive oil
1 gallon ziploc bag

Place steaks in ziploc bag.  Pour in enough balsamic vinegar and steak seasoning to coat.  Put in 1 tablespoon bacon grease.  Marinate overnight.  The vinegar will tenderize the meat.  Bring to room temperature.  Broil on high flipping every 5-10 minutes until medium, medium-well,  or well done.

Note:  We served these with baked yams (with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper).  We also had broccoli on the side prepared with olive oil, kalamata olives, fresh parsley, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper.

Crockpot Chicken

1 free range organic roaster chicken
thyme
rosemary (2 sprig of fresh rosemary minced)
garlic powder
paprika
chili powder
1 onion, cut in large chunks
6 carrots, diced
1 bunch celery, diced
2 large tomatoes
2 cups brown rice
salt to taste

Place chicken in crockpot.  Surround with veggies and rice.  Sprinkle spices over chicken liberally so the chicken is well covered.  Fill with water up to the top.  Slow cook in crockpot for 8 hours.  It could be more or less time depending on how hot your crock pot cooks.  Enjoy!

Note:  Whole roaster chickens are one of the cheapest ways to go with meat.  You can get way more bang for your buck and it can serve you for a couple meals.  Save the bones and scraps and boil them together with veggies to make homemade chicken stock that you can freeze.  My freezer has several jars full and it tastes so much better than store bought chicken broth!

Now to get outside and rake our yard together.  The honey-do list is too long and I want to get outside. Look for my chocolate pudding recipe coming soon...still tweaking it.  It's made with avocados.  Until then simplify and don't forget to enjoy every moment God has given you.  Life is too short to waste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment