Sunday, September 9, 2012

3 Speedy Meals...Our Fast Food

So this will be a recipe post.  I have several that are churning in my head but I know one complaint of eating in a healthy way is TIME!  "I would eat better but we just don't have the time."  I get it.  I have 2 toddlers, 2 dogs, 2 fish, 1 hubby the upkeep for said toddlers, dogs, fish, and hubby.  Preschool, teaching Sunday school (in a few weeks), teach piano lessons, soccer for the boys, working out 4-5 days a week, quality time with hubby at night and my devoted "it's after 8 so now I'm officially done for the day whether the house looks good or not" policy.  Sometimes I have to prioritize.  Eating well makes a happier me.  It makes a happier household.  I'm not kidding you!  I had a package of Mike And Ike's last week and I felt like a crazy woman!  STAY AWAY FROM THE SUGAR!  They should come with a warning label!

Easy Meal #1:  Lettuce Wraps

Bread does not exist in our house.  Our lovely neighbor suggested I try this with our hummus and now we do it often.  I've listed my favorite below and it's a great way to get rid of a little extra chicken that isn't enough to feed all of us.  Superhero #1 and #2 eat the meat and veggies plain.  Hubby and I do the following.

1 leaf of romaine lettuce
dill hummus
leftover chicken, tuna, turkey burger, etc
thinly sliced tomatoes
thinly sliced cucumbers

Spread hummus generously down center spine of lettuce.  Add finely chopped meat, tomato and cucumber slices.  Enjoy!

Easy Meal #2:  Turkey Burgers with Guacamole

We serve these with guacamole so I'll list that recipe as well.  The kids LOVE the burgers plain and my hubby and I eat them with the guacamole.

Turkey Burgers
1.5 lbs ground turkey
1 tsp honey Dijon mustard
1 dash organic balsamic vinegar (no sulfites)

Mix the above ingredients and sprinkle each side with the blackening spice.  I'll list the recipe for that below.  I save an empty spice bottle so I can sprinkle it on easily and use it for other things.  Then grill or fry on a frying pan.

Blackening spice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. cayenne powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Guacamole (taken from the Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook by Dr. Mark Hyman)
2 large avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
5 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl.  Gently mix until blended but still chunky.  Yields: 2 1/2 cups.

Not as Easy but Absolutely Fantastic Meal #3:  Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets

The kids LOVE these.  They are crunchy like chicken nuggets but without all the deep frying and unhealthy fat.  Their favorite is when I chop up butter lettuce finely and mix it with chopped chicken, tomatoes, green onions, a tiny bit of organic balsamic vinegar, and a touch of salt.  TO DIE FOR meal.  Hubby says it's 4.5 out of 5 stars and he is my toughest food critic which I'm thankful for.

You'll need a food processor for a lot of the recipes I create or use so it would be worth purchasing a good one.  I have a Cuisinart food processor that I got for Mother's Day from Costco.  I was SO EXCITED!  Seriously, I was.  I love to cook.

1/2 red bell pepper
1 cup broccoli chunks
4 eggs
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs. chicken chopped in nugget or chicken tender size
3 cups roasted almonds
1 cup flax
2 tablespoons blackening spice (see above recipe) (use more if you want it really spicey)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 gallon size Ziploc bags


Puree broccoli and bell pepper in food processor using the chopping blade then set aside in bowl for eggs and chicken.  Add 4 eggs, olive oil and chopped chicken.  Mix well so all the yolks are broken and all of the chicken is coated in the veggie/olive oil/egg mixture.

Rinse and dry food processor container and blade.  Set up food processor and add almonds, flax seed, blackening spice, and sea salt.  Chop until you have a fine texture.  If you want it crunchier you can leave bigger chunks.  Divide evenly the almond mixture between the two Ziploc bags.

Using a slotted spoon to drain some of the egg mixture off, scoop chicken up and divide evenly between two Ziploc bags.  Seal bags and coat evenly.

Fry on non-stick fry pan or you can bake in the oven on a pan covered with parchment paper.  I would probably bake for 20 minutes at 350 F turning a couple times.  I've always used our frying pan and turn the nuggets a few time.  They're tender and the kids get extra veggies by eating them.

These nuggets make a great topping for a salad.  That's how we eat them!  Some romaine or butter lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, a touch of olive oil, and a touch of organic balsamic vinegar and sea salt.  Absolutely fabulous!  My hubby always goes back for seconds!

We had these last night for Superhero #2's birthday and then took the leftover chicken with us today when we went fishing.  The kids had it plain with veggies on the side and my hubby and I made lettuce wraps with it.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. YUM!!! my mouth is watering...I think I;ll be making some turkey burgers this week

    ReplyDelete

  2. Seriously easy and so good! Wait until you try the guac! We mash it so it's creamy instead of chunky but it's soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete