Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Beef Roast I don't want to stop eating!

So tonight I made a beef roast.  I was only able to go to one of my grocery stops and they had grass fed beef roast on special.  So I bought a 2.5 pounder and decided to punt once I got home.  Now we've been on this cooking journey for about 3 months now so I'm starting to learn a bit about different flavors and herbs that work together.  It's fun to challenge myself and try new things.

So this is a "Mama Original" as my husband would say.  It's basically dumping what we had from the fridge and putting it in the crock pot.  ENJOY!  We did!

2.5 lb grass fed beef roast
1 bell pepper minced
2 tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup organic tomato paste mixed with 1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
8 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 yellow sweet onion finely chopped
1 fennel bulb chopped in big chunks
3 Tablespoons fresh minced parsley
2 Tablespoons fresh minced basil
salt and pepper to taste
juice of one lemon
1 lb. green beans

So I put the roast, half of the minced onion, and carrots in first.  Then I put the herbs, tomato sauce mixture, bell pepper, etc...everything else on top of the roast.  I cooked it in the crock pot on high for 4 hours and then did the last 2.5 hours on low.  It literally fell apart.  All the flavored melded together beautifully and my kids ate carrots and green beans!  Hurray!  I never knew what fennel was until this adventure but it's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment