Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I Scream! You Scream! We all Scream for Ice Cream!

One of the challenges of being lactose intolerant is missing ice cream.  Sure, Breyer's has a great lactose free substitute for the chocolate and the vanilla versions...but what about all the flavors?  I miss having choices!

So with my Mother's Day gift (an ice cream maker) I am on a mission to create my favorite ice cream flavors.  This weekend, I made a pecan praline and a chocolate chip cookie dough version that met great reviews from our dinner guests.  Tonight...I'm making Chocolate Sunbutter Ice Cream.

I found a recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream on DeliciouslyOrganic.net but didn't like using peanut butter since it is prone to mold and not the best for you.  Sunbutter is more allergen friendly so it makes this recipe more accessible to all.  I also like blending ingredients in the blender instead of heating because then I don't have to wait for the mixture to cool.  I'm not that patient when it comes to ice cream!  The banana adds smoothness but you can't taste it at all.


So here goes:

2 cups full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup Sunbutter
1/2 a banana

Blend well in blender until fully mixed.  Pour in ice cream machine and freeze according to your ice cream makers instructions!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Great adaptation! Of course I appreciate it since I blog for the SunButter and I'm always looking for new recipes, but as a fellow mom looking for treats that do not involve heating up an oven, I'm really eager to try this at our house! Thanks for the delish inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    My hubby and I liked it but my kids are "purists". They just want plain chocolate, plain vanilla, no extras. :-) Part of their age. It was tasty! Let me know how you like it and adapt it?

    ReplyDelete