Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Letter to My Younger Self

Sometimes, I wish I could write a letter to my younger self and help myself navigate the pitfalls that I stumbled upon.  Life hasn't always been easy but God has always been good.  So this is what I would write if I could send myself a letter back in time.  Attending graduation open houses and weddings has caused me to be a bit more reflective than normal.

With my best friend and her son (my godson) at his baptism.  Several years ago...time flies


Dear Me,

I want you to know that you're important.  You will meet people in life that try to use you verbally, physically, sexually, and emotionally.  Don't let them in.  It's ok to stand up for what you believe in and be respectful at the same time.  If someone makes you feel "less than" or ashamed for being who you are then don't take in their yuck.  That's not your "stuff".  It's their "stuff"  You are worth so much more.

Remember to take time for yourself.  You know that Bible that grows dusty sometimes that you can't seem to remember verses from?  Read it.  The words God put there will write themselves on your heart and you'll suddenly remember them when you're at the bottom of the bottom.  Your devotional?  Use it. Exercise?  Do it!

You know how you turn to food sometimes for comfort and then end up feeling worse afterwards.  Stop the cycle.  You'll think more clearly and be more able to take care of yourself.  Your weight will stop going up and down.  Your body and mind will feel better.

Don't focus on making everyone else happy.  Listen to God's quiet voice and He'll direct your path to a happier place than you can imagine.  I wish I could stop you from struggling like I did with pleasing everyone and losing myself in the process.  I want you to know that trying to please everyone else...it just stresses you out and usually...they either aren't looking for you to please them or they'll never be happy anyway.  You are a precious beautiful child of God.  That's what matters and He's happy because He made you.

Change the way you talk to yourself.  Don't feed yourself negative messages!  You're hurting yourself.  It takes some reprogramming but it's worth it.  When you are positive with yourself and confident in who are, you'll attract healthy friendships.  When you aren't, you attract others who have low self-esteems.


When you're dating... make time for yourself.  When you're in college and grad school...make time for yourself.  When you get married...make time for yourself.  When you have kids...make time for yourself, even if it's just an hour or two away grocery shopping per week.  You need it.  If you don't do it who will?


When the going gets tough (and it will), always, always, always remember to trust and turn to God.  He will get you through.  I'm here, stented heart, formerly abused woman (past relationship), out of depression survivor and all.  He can and will make beauty from ashes.  The more I've trusted and followed Him the less ashes I've had to walk through or the more the ashes look beautiful to me.  


Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment