Friday, May 31, 2013

White Bean Hummus with Black Olives and Pepperocinis

On Memorial Day we went to our friends' house for a BBQ.  I offered to bring veggies and dip thinking it would be easy since I'm always chopping veggies here anyway.  The dip plan was my homemade ranch dip and hummus.

Parade side...just a WEE bit excited to see the festivities!

Normally, I make a roasted bell pepper hummus with garbanzo beans (aka chick peas) that I love!  I am not a big hummus fan so the bell peppers hide the taste of the chick peas and tahini.  So it's the day of...I'm searching our pantry, getting everything out...excited to go.  Handsome Hubby was working out at the gym and then I was going to leave to workout for an hour before we left for their house.  Kids are resting on the couch watching Thomas the Train.  I just had the hummus left to make.

One problem...I didn't have the peppers.  I was literally emptying my pantry out searching.  No luck.  So here you have my new creation...A White bean hummus!  This is what I had in my pantry folks.

I guess my lesson to you is don't be afraid to experiment.  I make a white bean salad with similar ingredients so I thought this would work.  It does!  It was tested and approved by 8 adults and when we left the large bowl was half empty.  A success!  It took about 15 minutes to make since I had to cut the olives and pepperocini some before I placed them in the food processor.

White Bean Hummus

2 cans of canellini beans rinsed and drained
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tsp. freshly minced garlic
1/2 cup tahini
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. dry basil
5 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
3/4 cup pepperocinis sliced
2 Tbsp. pepperocini juice from the jar

Place above ingredients in your food processor or blender.  Mix until smooth.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment