Sunday, May 5, 2013

Thinking Outside the Box

Sometimes we need to think outside the box.  We're so used to expecting to eat things a certain way that it feels strange or wrong to change it.  This morning, before leaving for church I made chili.  It was a good recipe, turned out good.  I'd make it again.  I started with a recipe online and quickly realized that I didn't have the ingredients so it became a dumping ground for what I did have.  It called for beer. We don't drink.  But we did have red wine in our fridge that I've used for cooking since someone brought it to a dinner party we had and we didn't have any friends who drink to give it to either.  So the wine has sat in our fridge and been used for spaghetti sauce, soup, and now chili.  It also called for canned diced tomatoes which we didn't have.  I try not to buy canned tomatoes due to the BPA in the cans.  So I used diced roma tomatoes.  Then I didn't like the taste so I started tweaking spices here and there and finally had my recipe!

Not only did I have to think outside the box with the recipe but later we went fishing.  I didn't want to recreate a new meal for supper so I packed some bowls, shredded cheese, organic non-GMO corn chips, fresh fruit and veggies and some ice water for our picnic at our favorite fishing spot.  Unconventional picnic but we all ate and enjoyed the meal.

Here's the recipe that showed up from my brain today...


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
8 ounces Italian sausage, casing removed

8 slices of bacon chopped1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon of salt1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
One 4-ounce can tomato paste
12 ounces of red cooking wine
6 cups diced roma tomatoes
Two 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used beans I had made in my crockpot and frozen)


Toppings:
Fresh cilantro
Green onions
Avocado

1.  Sauté onions and bell pepper until tender.  Add hamburger, sausage and bacon.  Fry until done and drain fat.
2.  Dump meat mixture into crockpot and add remaining ingredients.
3.  Just before serving mix in 1 cup of finely minced cilantro.  You don't want to overcook it.
4. Serve with fresh cilantro, green onions, and avocado.
5.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment