Thursday, May 2, 2013

Blueberry Banana Waffles

So this morning, I was out of pancakes in the freezer.  The muffins I had premade in the fridge were dry (we'd had them in there for over a week).  Boiled eggs just didn't sound good and a German Apple Pancake recipe I had found would take too long.

Eating clean, eating unprocessed food takes time.  You have to think ahead a little but in the long run my body feels the difference and my kids behavior shows the difference.  They've been healthier overall too.  When they get sick, it doesn't seem to last as long and the rest of us don't always get it like before.

So what do you make for breakfast for 2 full of energy boys (other than just bacon).  I wore them out in the sunshine yesterday so they managed to sleep in past 7 o'clock.  This is a rarity in our house.  That's why I have to go to the gym at 5:46 a.m.   It takes me 6 minutes from my alarm clock going off to get my clothes on and head out the door.  But I got distracted...what do I make.  I'm always trying to branch out but have been a little afraid of trying my own concoctions in the baking realm.   Baking with coconut or almond flour is different than baking with traditional wheat flour or a gluten free flour blend.

No missing cereal with this! 

Of course you need your monster trucks to complete the meal
This is one of my concoctions.  I have to say...it tasted mighty fine!  Superhero #1 ate all of his and Superhero #2 just wanted milk, bacon, and cashews (this is not an unusual response for my 2 year old). I looked at several recipes for pancakes and waffle and this is what I came up with.  Try it out and let me know what you think.  There is a very small amount of coconut flour used and a large amount of eggs.  This is not a typo.  Coconut flour sucks up moisture.  So you'll have very high fiber, high protein waffles that melt in your mouth.

Blueberry Banana Waffles

4 eggs separated (room temperature if possible)
1/3 cup milk (almond, coconut, whole milk)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil melted
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. Grade B maple syrup
1 overripe banana (with brown spots) mashed
frozen wild blueberries


  1. Separate eggs and place whites in separate bowl.  Whip egg whites until you have stiff peaks.  This works best if room temperature but is still possible with cold eggs.  It just takes longer.
  2. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.  Make sure the banana is well mixed into the batter.   At this point the batter might seem a bit thick.  Don't worry.
  3. Add egg whites to batter by folding in until well incorporated.
  4. Pour 1/3 cup batter onto waffle iron.  Sprinkle a few frozen blueberries on top and close lid.
  5. Open after 1-2 minutes (depending on your waffle iron).
  6. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment