Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Fast Meal for Spring Days

Simple is good!  I like simple.  Once warm weather hits, I spend very little time indoors.  I don't have nearly as many Hot Wheels cars to clean up at the end of a sunny spring day.  We live outside.  So when it's time to cook supper, my boys drag their feet to come in and so do I.  Add to the fact that we now have a GINORMOUS sandbox thanks to my parents and a HUMONGOUS garden started and I know I'll be shifting more and more towards the crock pot for cooking.  Today was one of those days when we were outside as much as possible.  So my fast easy meal that literally took about 30 minutes total to prep and cook was fried tilapia and roasted asparagus.

This is a good intro. meal for kids.  My boys still aren't enjoying the asparagus so I'll be honest...they ate carrot sticks and cucumbers with their meal and some apple slices.  But they LOVED the fish.  They love tuna fish so this is a natural transition.  Tilapia has a very light flavor and firm texture so if you're not a big fish eater like me...this is a good one to try.  I would prefer wild caught but we went with farmed this time due to availability and cost.  Remember, do what you can when you can.  It will never be perfect but every step in the right direction counts.

Roasted Asparagus Prepped


Roasted Asparagus
Asparagus
Sea Salt
Garlic Powder
Olive Oil
Lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line baking sheet with foil.  Snap "woody" ends off bottom of asparagus spears.  Lay evenly on pan.  Sprinkle with sea salt, and garlic powder.  Drizzle olive oil on top.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Remove from oven and place in bowl or on plate.  Lightly squeeze fresh lemon juice over top.  Enjoy!
Fish prepped with dried parsley, sea salt, pepper, coconut oil, and a smidge of garlic powder 
Missed the Parsley in this picture...I had thrown it in the recycling and didn't want to go digging for it.  :-)

Waiting for it to fry on Medium heat for 3-5 minutes on one side.

Finished product!  Soooo good on a hot day like today!

Fried Tilapia

Thawed Tilapia Fillets
Coconut oil
Dried Parsley
Sea Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Lemons

Heat cast iron griddle over medium heat.  Grease your pan with coconut oil.  Don't worry about the fat...it's healthy fat.  Sprinkle parsley, salt, and pepper over fish.  VERY LIGHTLY sprinkle with garlic.  Not too much or it will overpower the flavor of the fish.  Fry 3-5 minutes per side.   It should be flaky when cooked through.  Remove from pan to a plate and squeeze lemon juice over if you like.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment