Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Reinventing Leftovers

I have a Love-Hate relationship with leftovers.  I love the fact that it means I don't have to cook as much.  I hate the fact that it's the same old thing over and over.  So sometimes I need to spice things up and make ways to stretch the meal into several different meals.  I can freeze the leftovers or recreate them into a totally different meal.



A few weeks ago I made spaghetti sauce when Handsome Hubby went hunting.  Yesterday, I thawed it out while my parents were visiting and we had it for supper.  My mom couldn't believe how fast I prepped the meal.  She asked where the sauce came from.  We served it over mung bean fettuccine (as option 1) or some sauteéd zucchini (made with olive oil, garlic, and Italian seasoning).

Today, I gave my Superheroes the option of more spaghetti (they had eaten it for lunch) or bread sticks with the sauce.  They chose bread sticks.  I stumbled on this recipe at Multiply Delicious one day on Facebook.  It has become a favorite of ours.  My now 5 year old Superhero is bringing it to school tomorrow for his lunch.  I often wonder what the other kid's lunches look like and if he's bothered by it.      He did ask for fruit snacks today but I told him I'd give him some chocolate chips instead.  He was satisfied with that.

Tomorrow, the sauce will be reinvented again into pizza or I'll thaw out something else since we used it up tonight.  Perhaps it's time for that tilapia that's sitting in the freezer.  We shall see what I come up with.  It seems like tilapia and roasted asparagus will be the winner.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment