I used to love baking. It's one way I communicate my love to my family. I feel joy in seeing them enjoy the fruits of my kitchen labor. It's a challenge for me too to find new recipes that they want more of. So while I don't bake much anymore...I still am in the kitchen creating new treats for my Superheroes. Here's a favorite that I've adapted from reading different raw food blogs. My boys like the Lara Bars but they're so expensive. So we make our own.
16 oz. pitted dates
3/4 cup roasted almonds
1/3 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tablespoon organic cocoa
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Using a food processor, chop up almonds, coconut, and cocoa until you have a finely chopped "almond meal".
- Remove almond mixture from food processor and set in separate bowl for later.
- Using the food processor, chop up dates and coconut oil until it forms a "paste" ball in the container.
- Separate the ball into smaller chunks and pour almond mixture over top.
- Replace lid and mix again until fully blended.
- Roll into balls or roll out between parchment paper and cut with a pizza cutter into "snack bars". Wrap in saran wrap and you have an easy on the go treat!