Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Comfort food, knitting and family


So last week was an INSANELY busy week!  I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed.  Our dryer broke, more doctors appointments, family pictures, and general family life.  So I turned to the things that help me recenter.

My recipe for success:

  •  Spend time with family
  •  Knit
  •  Make comfort food
  •  Read my Bible and devotions.


 Spend time with family
It would have been easy to tell the boys "No...I can't play right now.  I have to (fill in the blank)." Yes, there were times I used the t.v. for a sitter or had them play while I worked to get caught up on stuff.  But I also reminded myself to include them in the work and to be patient when it took longer than I'd hoped.  So my kids helped me...vacuum, sweep, mop, wash mirrors/counters/windows, helped me cook, etc.  We also took time to build forts, play ball, make a nest and read books, play cars, build things, color, paint, etc.

Knit
I find joy in creating things and giving things to others.  So this past week I was able to do both and decompress at the same time.  It's easy to lose yourself when life gets too busy.  I'm reclaiming my life and trying to be as healthy as possible.  That means when my hubby went hunting on Saturday...I declared it a lazy day for our house.  The house was messy.  I played.  I knit.  I managed to finish 2 hats last week for my superheroes and they wear them with pride.





Make Comfort Food...
It's fall!  I love applesauce, apple crisp, apple pie, etc.  But we have been pretty successful at eliminating processed sugars.  As a result our inflammation is down.  Moods are better.  Digestion is better.  Life is WAY better.  So this is the applesauce I created yesterday.  Cheaper than the jar stuff and so much better!

6 cups peeled and diced mixed apples (I used Sweet Tango, Fuji, and Gala)
1 Tablespoon Grade B maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water

Bring to boil on stove.  Lower to simmer until apples are soft. Stir occasionally.  When apples soften, empty contents of pot into the blender.  Blend until desired texture.  Enjoy!

Read my Bible
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the source of my strength.  God.  He has seen me through more than I can imagine and when I had clothes hanging all over the furniture in the house to dry He reminded me that "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me!" (Phillipians 4:13)  I can even live in a messy house that will be reclaimed once the dryer works again.  For now...there's a pile of clothes on the guest room bed that are dry and need to be put away.  Last night, Handsome hubby fixed the dryer.  Last week, God reminded me that I could let the laundry go and play more.  That in itself is worth more than anything else I accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment