Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Sweet Treat!

So when I'm tired I want junk food.  The only problem now is that when I taste it my body doesn't get as excited as it used to and then I feel horrible afterwards.  So I'm starting to realize that it isn't worth it. Crazy!  So this morning Superhero #2 was talking LOUDLY in his sleep at about 3:45 a.m. and Superhero #1 desperately needed his sleep based on his exhaustion level the day before.  So at 3:45 a.m. I flew my tiny Superhero#2 out of their shared room and he landed in the guest room to sleep with yours truly.  The only problem with sleeping with a Superhero is that they talk and move a lot in their sleep.  The story could continue but you get the picture...

So I'm tired and I want something sweet.  Here's a favorite of ours that follows the paleo diet, gluten free diet, unprocessed food diet.  ENJOY!  Ours is cooking as we speak.  (This recipe was taken from the website NourishMD.  It's a great resource for parents in getting their kids and family to eat more REAL food!  They also have a new non-profit organization started called Get Real for Kids.  Check it out!)

Someone asked me why use Grade B maple syrup.  Here's a link from the Livestrong website that explains more.  In short, there are calorie benefits, weight loss benefits, and mineral benefits.

Coconut Bars

4 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup finely chopped almonds (use a food processor)
1 cup Grade B maple syrup

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.  Grease a 10x13 pan.  Mix the above ingredients well.  Place in pan and press firmly.  Make sure they're packed well so they don't fall apart later.  Bake for 2 hours.

Remove.  Cool.  Cut.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. are these the yummy's you sent over last week? if so I can honestly say I ate them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember! I make so many different things! They're crunchy and sweet! SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD!

      Delete