Monday, October 21, 2013

Bacon and Black Bean Soup

So in my effort to budget better and save more for the future I have been shopping all the deals as best I can. Last week, I found 2 pounds of dried black beans for $1.56.  This would make the equivalent of 6 cans of beans! So I bought the bag and decided to make some black bean soup.

I have never made black bean soup...but not to be deterred I found a recipe with bacon and cilantro and thought I'd give it a go. Beans are a cheap meat substitute and while higher in carbs they are fine to have provided you are burning the carbs off with physical activity.  I do want to emphasize that you soak the beans for 24 to 36 hours first.  Soaking helps get rid of the phytic acid in the beans and makes them easier for your body to digest. Phytic acid is what is in beans that make you have gas. By soaking them your body can benefit more from the heart healthy benefits of beans.

So last week, I soaked the beans and had them cook in my crockpot.  After they were fully cooked, I froze them in 2 cups portions. Today, I took those bags out and made my soup.  The recipe,is not paleo but it is healthy and easy to make for your family. Here's the recipe below.



4 cans (8 cups) of black beans
3/4 cup dried minced onion
6 TBSP dried cilantro
1 TBSP garlic powder
2 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP cumin
1 tsp chipotle chili powder ( for a smoky flavor)
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
32 oz. chicken broth
10 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped finely
2 carrots chopped finely
1 celery chopped finely
2 cups frozen organic corn
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP of ketchup 

Dump all the ingredients into the pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer 20 minutes. Cool and serve with fresh avocado, scallions, and cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment