Wednesday, August 28, 2013

If you Smack Yourself in the Face...Don't forget to Laugh

So this summer, I have been stress eating.  I won't go into what the stress is about.  This isn't a sob story about me.  I've gained 10 pounds since January and I know it's time to lose it.  I don't feel like I'm at my peak and my heart, my energy level, and my jeans show that.  :-)


I haven't been my "Superhero Mama" self so I needed to get back into it.  Not working out as much, not reading my bible as much, not going to bed as early, eating more 'sometimes' food, just not feeling as positive.  I try to be careful how I talk about my body and my weight in front of the superheroes.  I want them to know that strong can come in many shapes and sizes and that it's a full body, mind, faith in God package that develops strength.  So I've never said anything about it in front of them but I have made a shift backwards so I need to make that conscious shift forward again.

Step 1...I got back into my daily Bible readings (somehow life crowded them out).  Step 2... I started doing the couch to 5k program with the goal of increasing my speed (I can already run a 5k but I'm slow.).  So I run the intervals at a faster pace and the challenge is motivating me again.  Step 3...Then I started looking for new strength training routines I could do to "shake things up" a bit.

This brings me to the laughing part.  I was doing a new routine this morning.  You take a medicine ball.  Hold it over your head with your feet a little wider than shoulder width apart.  Then with your arms straight you (in one fluid movement...hypothetically), throw the ball down, move to a squat, pick up the ball from the floor and stand back up with the ball above your head...ready to start again.

Sounds great right?  I picked the 12 pound ball...seemed good since I've been doing more than that for other things.  Then I read the directions...it said "Throw forcefully".  So I did.  Wouldn't you know it...that ball bounced back up...hit me in the chin and threw me off balance.  Needless to say, I didn't complete the squat but I did start laughing.  In the past, I would have been mortified and not wanted to try again.  I would have berated myself for my clumsiness and not wanted to have anyone see me attempt it again.  I would have cut myself down.  But instead...I laughed.  I picked the ball up again and this time...I didn't "throw forcefully".  It went much more smoothly.

When I got home my muscles were happily sore and I was still laughing.  I woke up my Handsome Hubby for the day and shared my highlight with him.  He just smiled.  "I bet you didn't know you married such a graceful woman!".

My point.  Don't be afraid to try.  Don't take yourself too seriously.  This journey to health is hard!  I was smooth sailing and let myself slip some.  So I gained 10 pounds.  It's OK!  I will get back in shape.  I just need to find a new challenge.  Now I've found it and away I go.  I also needed to focus on my entire self, my faith, my food, my sleep.  Working out alone doesn't cut it.  I needed to drown out those negative voices from the old me and tell them to SHUT UP!  Then I needed to relax and take it ONE...MOMENT...AT...A...TIME!  The journey is long but it's worth it.  Cut yourself some slack...laugh when the medicine ball smacks you in the face...and keep moving.

God wants you close to Him...taking care of your relationship with Him (#1 priority!!!) and the body/mind He gave you is part of that.


Matthew 7:13-14

New King James Version (NKJV)

 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.  Because[a] narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.


No comments:

Post a Comment