Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chocolately Brownies!

Here it is...I wanted brownies.  It's rainy.  We're staying home due to some chest colds and the need to just "be" for today.  The boys are playing.  I'm reading.  Cleaning.  Baking.  Thinking up a pattern for sewing.  So, what to do?  I didn't want to go to the store to pick up what I was missing for my favorite recipe.  I didn't want to make one with coconut flour since they're a little too airy.

A close-up as they cool


Using all almond butter is too taxing for my son's body.  Almonds contain oxalates and can cause kidney stones in people with leaky guts so we try to limit the baking with almonds.  When he has a lot of baked almond flour or almond butter goods he has to pee all the time!  His body is trying to cleanse itself of the oxalates from the almonds.  His leaky gut developed from repeated exposure to antibiotics.  While we still use antibiotics when needed (last week they had strep throat.).  I try to avoid them if possible.

So...back to the brownies.  My fridge had a bit of almond butter.  A bit of sunbutter.  Some unsweetened apple sauce, eggs, maple syrup.  Hmmm...  My pantry had some of the essentials as well. So here's the creation.  They reminded me of box mix brownies...crusty outside...chewy inside.  The gelatin adds to the chewiness and is actually beneficial for healing leaky guts.  It also adds some protein to offset the sugar from the maple syrup.  One was plenty for me.  Delicious but not too sweet.  Perfect with a cup of decaf coffee.  Superhero #1 thought they were perfect too.


Chocolately Brownies

1/2 cup sunbutter (unsweetened)
1/2 cup almond butter
1 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 tsp decaf organic ground coffee
2 TBSP grass fed gelatin
1 TBSP unsweetened apple sauce

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease 8x8 glass baking pan with palm oil shortening.  Mix above ingredients in food processor until fully blended.  Pour into baking pan.  It will be thick.  Don't worry...it works out.  Bake for 40 minutes of until toothpick placed in center comes out clean.  Enjoy!  We did and are!

No comments:

Post a Comment