Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Avoiding the Cold and Flu

So somewhere in my path to wellness I read repeatedly that vegetables are builders and fruits are cleansers.  I think the first time I saw it was on a chart at my chiropractor but I have read it in other places as well.  I don't typically gravitate towards veggies but I know I need them so I eat them.  The less sugar we partake of (including fruit sugars), the less inflammation we have and the more our bodies are able to handle the bacteria and viruses they encounters.  The more it is able to handle cholesterol, allergies, cancer, life stress, etc.  I'm not saying veggies are the cure all for everything but I am saying that a lot of the ills of the American society could be helped by eating a healthier diet with more veggies and whole foods that are unprocessed.

So in honor of that and in order to avoid colds and the flu as much as possible...Handsome Hubby has gotten us on a veggie smoothie kick.  Here's a quick recipe to try.  We use the Vitamix 5000.  It's astronomically priced but really is worth it.  If you have to save money for a year to buy it...DO IT!  Skip your Starbucks or Caribou habit for a year and I bet you could save up for one.  Skip McDonald's and Pizza Hut and you'd have it sooner!  It makes everything smooth.  NO CHUNKS!  I don't do chunky smoothies.

As my Handsome Hubby says...Down the hatch! We make up a different name for every smoothie...This one is the Green Delight.  If you like V8...you'll actually like these.  Balance out the bitterness of the kale with the sweetness of the tomatoes and bell pepper.  Then add some strong flavors like the dill and celery and the superfood kale is hidden.  Enjoy!

Green Delight Smoothie
3 plum tomatoes (health benefits linked here)
2 stalks celery (celery benefits linked here)
1 sprig fresh dill (dill benefits linked here)
2 leaves of kale (the big stuff...not the baby kale...don't cop out on me. Find out why here.)
1/2 bell pepper (Another health link here.)
1 green onion (Last link to health here.)
enough water to cover 1/2 of veggies
sea salt to taste

Blend until smooth and have 12 to 16 ounces for you and 12 to 16 ounces for someone else!


No comments:

Post a Comment