Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Beauty for Ashes

As I sit here and watch the 2014 Winter Olympic games, I see athletes who have been to previous Olympics.  Who thought they were at their prime then and now realize they had more to learn, they've trained better, strengthened their mind and body and are now more well rounded for the pressure and demands of the Olympic games.  It's easy to see how their past challenges have brought them to where they are now.  We see the forest.  They had to walk through the trees.



I know at other points in my life I have felt change blowing in.  Earlier this year I felt that.  Little did I know how many things would blow in, the greatest of which being the loss of my dad.  The details of my life, the things I struggle with are much like anyone else's life.  So I won't bore you with all of the specifics.  Bottom line...there seems to be a season change in progress.  Remember when I talked about the hermit crab we got.  The link to the post is there in case you missed it.  Part of me loves the excitement of change and the other part of me just wants to stay safe...even if the tank is crowded.

It's like the Olympians who think...this is it.  This is my one chance.  This is what I'm supposed to do!  And then there's a fall.  An injury.  Hope is gone.  They could stop trying or they could get back up and try again.  My Handsome Hubby and I repeatedly catch ourselves saying..."Can you imagine how much they have to practice to get to this point?!?! To get it right?!?!"  We could learn a lot from them.

Last night, we lay in bed and I said,  "I miss Dad.  I miss his encouragement and hope that he'd give when I was down or faced with a big challenge."  I went on saying, I know that I've been through a lot in life.  I can see how all of the big changes, big challenges, big sorrows, have brought with them great growth, joy, or opportunities.  I know this.  I read my devotions, my Bible, and it's like God is tapping me on the shoulder whispering gently, "Trust Diana, just trust," In Matthew 11:28-29 he says, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 

I know this stuff.  But when I'm faced with my challenges...  When it seems like everything is so confusing and there is SO MUCH unknown.  It's tough for this human mind to trust.  Yet once we do it  is the easiest thing in the world.  My Handsome Hubby held me as I said, "How can you know something, have lived through challenges, seen the fingerprints of God all over your life, and still get discouraged when tough times come? Why is it I still struggle to see the forest in spite of the trees?"

Last night, I fell asleep to the lyrics of this song running through my head.  I hope it encourages you like it does me.  Click the link to the video in the song title below.


Beauty For Ashes 
written by Randy L. Scruggs; John W. Thompson.
Sung by Crystal Lewis


He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

When sorrow seems to surround you
When suffering hangs hangs heavy o'er your head
Know that tomorrow brings wholeness and healing
God knows your need, just believe what He said

He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

When what you've done keeps you from moving on
When fear wants to make itself at home in your heart
Know that forgiveness brings wholeness and healing
God knows your need just believe what He said

He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

I once was lost but God has found me
Though I was bound I've been set free
I've been made righteous in His sight
A display of His splendor all can see

I once was lost but God has found me
Though I was bound I've been set free
I've been made righteous in His sight
A display of His splendor all can see

He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

No comments:

Post a Comment