Tuesday, April 23, 2013

You Can Make This Everyday Mom

So when my almost 5 year old says "You can make this everyday Mom" I know it's a hit.  Tonight I used some of the spaghetti sauce from Saturday's cooking extravaganza to make pizza.  I thawed some out and decided to try making a cauliflower crust.  I've been reading about them for awhile and was curious.  I perused several on Pinterest and decided on this one for no particular reason other than I know some people that had tried it too.  The blog is Eat.Drink.Smile and she focuses on real whole food recipes.


I followed her instructions almost to the word.  Just doubled it to feed our growing boys and used 1/2 mozzarella and 1/2 parmesan in the recipe.  After baking for 15 minutes I topped with sauce and toppings (black olives, pepperocini, roasted bell peppers, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese).  I baked it a bit more we were ready to eat.

Superhero #2 chose the deconstructed pizza since he has an aversion to sauce these days.  He ate cheese, pepperoni (uncured), and some veggies and milk.  Superhero #1 said I could make it everyday. I asked my Handsome Hubby if he could figure out what kind of "flour" I used for the crust and he was stumped.  You can't tell it's cauliflower.  Trust me.  I don't like cooked cauliflower.  We all devoured it.

There are about 6 square pieces left in the fridge.  I packed 2 for Superhero  #1's lunch tomorrow.  The preschool classmates won't even know that it's not your average pizza and it's safe to bring to a school with nut allergies.

The only drawback I would say is that we had to take our LACTAID pill before eating because of our lactose intolerance.  I loved the flavor but even with the pill in my stomach working I could feel that I'd had too much dairy.  So next time I might try a recipe I found that follows the same path but does use a bit of almond flour as well.  In case you're curious...that recipe is found here at the blog Love and Lemons. 

Later this week I hope to post my latest craftiness project.  I desperately needed to patch the knees of my outdoor Superheroes pants so I decided to have fun with it and make various vehicles on each knee.  That will come later with pics.  Right now they're washing.  Enjoy the pizza and let me know what you think if you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment