Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sometimes in the silence...

Sometimes in the silences of my life it's when the big stuff happens.  Right now I'm in one of those silences.  I can feel God holding me close, comforting me, reassuring me, and loving on me.  I am NOT a patient person.  But I know without a doubt that I am meant to wait Him out during this time.  I know at my core that big stuff is happening.  Patience is tough.  But God is good.  He's brought me through so, so much and reminded me that even when I can't see the forest in spite of the trees...He has a bigger picture.

So in that interim, I wait.  I pray.  I read my Bible.  I do my devotions (sometimes I read it twice just so it soaks in).  I bake.  I play with our kids.  I soak in my time with my Handsome Hubby.  And I pray some more.

Here is one of my baking successes this week during the wait.  I tweaked a few almond butter recipes that I found online.  It's so expensive in stores so I tried making my own.  You can leave the cinnamon and vanilla out and it will still be decadent to eat by the spoonful.  By adding the variety of nuts with the cinnamon and vanilla it's like eating apple pie (especially when you dip apples in it!).


Homemade Nut Butter

2 cups raw almonds
3 TBSP. flax seed meal
3 TBSP maple syrup

2 TBSP Coconut oil

optional ingredients:
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Mix almonds, flax, and maple syrup together.  Spread on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes total.  Stir once at the 15 minute point.  Remove from oven.  Cool.  Blend in high powered blender  (Vitamix) with coconut oil.  If you don't have a high powered blender you can use a food processor.  Add vanilla and cinnamon during this stage if you want the apple pie flavor.

You can also vary the taste by roasting other nuts with the almonds.  My favorite this week was 1 cup almonds combined with 1/3 cup pecans, 1/3 cup hazelnuts, and 1/3 cup walnuts.  I still had 2 cups of nuts total but it just had a different flavor.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment